Sunday, November 2, 2008

Exciting Times.

School has been going well for the most part. There have been a lot of days where I have been utterly clueless as to what is going on (do I blog like a guy who would understand how electrical circuits work?) but I can feel my mind opening up to all it needs to know and with every time I go back over my notes and PDF files to re-read what was learned, something clicks in my mind and I'm literally floored at what I just learned. Even if its something little about how AC circuits work or how an XY microphone technique picks up a symphony. It was also weird watching a Saturday Night Live performance from Coldplay and actually paying attention to the microphones and how everything is set up, trying desperately to apply what I've learned in these two weeks to what I've been watching on the TV.

On Monday, our instructor opened a Mulitrack file of one of the Beatles songs in Logic to demonstrate how much hard work went into creating their later albums (Sgt. Pepper in particular.) When he played the song, I do not remember which one it was unfortunately, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. All the effects, all of the different sounds..and they only had a four track to work with. I am still astounded just thinking about it. I think it would've been a more exciting time working during that time, but I'm sure its just as exciting with all of the technology we have at our fingertips that allow us to create albums with a lot more ease than it was forty years ago.

I am thinking about just sticking with one job instead of two. The one I have right now has been calling me in for a lot of hours and its literally a two minute drive down the road from my house. I like everyone, I like what I do and I'm sure I'd like working at the other place as well, but right now, I think I can only handle one job with school.

Beyond that, everything is good here and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I saw "Saw V" a week ago with someone from school, which was fun..but the movie was the worst one out of the series. I suppose they haven't been good since the third one though. What can you expect? The only thing I am missing about Pennsylvania (beyond the people) is rain. I love the heat here, but I've been begging for just one day when I can open my balcony and see a cloudy day. I don't think their rainy season is coming anytime soon, so in memory of the precipitation, I downloaded a Screen Saver from Apple.com that simulates a thunderstorm on your desktop. The rain gently washes away your desktop/any open applications. I like it.

No comments: